Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Street Photography



Something I always come across when reading photography books is a discussion about ways to grow as a photographer. A common theme I run into if you want to grow and become a better photographer is to get out of your comfort zone .  I've experienced this a few times lately and thought I'd share my most recent experience.

Shaun Nelson and I did a little street photography in downtown Salt Lake City one afternoon.  I have to say that this definitely took me out of my comfort zone.  I've seen quite a few street photographer who can get some amazing photographs but I felt like I wasn't able to get anything good.  After about an hour I packed up and headed home not feeling comfortable with what I had and quite frankly didn't care to do any more street photography again.  Shaun mentioned that the first time is a little uncomfortable and to try it again.  I took his advise and hit the streets again.  I have to say I didn't feel as uncomfortable but still a little awkward.  I included a few of my favorite shots.  I don't anticipate me becoming a street photographer anytime soon but when the occasion arises I will be able to apply the things I learned from this adventure to the next one.





2 comments:

Jeremy Hall said...

I can relate to your feelings of unease when attempting street photography. I get those same feelings, but after time it does get easier. I wish I had more opportunity to practice the craft, but downtown Pleasant Grove isn't quite the same as a big city :)

Shaun Nelson said...

The image of the man in the wheelchair with the child in his lap and the women pushing the stroller is awesome! I remember my first serious street shot. It took me about 15 minutes to work up the nerve. I held my breath, walked out of an alley, and >>click! From there, it got much easier. We need to go out shooting more often, Scott. :)